Monday, March 3, 2014

Parshat Vayikra, (Leviticus 1:14-2:6)-3/3/14

I was disgusted to read about the killing of the birds. That made me into an off and on vegetarian. And then I think about this urge I had to go out tonight and get some “meat.” It was only because of the cold weather that I wanted to stay home.

I was just thinking about the amount of time that Moses must have been talking to the Lord to get all these instructions.

The birds are an option for sacrifice for those who can't afford a sheep or a cow. I suspect they wanted to make sure that everyone has a chance to make a sacrifice. This might be seen as justice, but in a sense everyone benefits when everyone has a chance to "pay" for their poor judgement and/or to thank the Lord for good things that happen to them. It is the intent here that is most important.

But if you can't afford a bird, then you give fine flour with oil. I wonder if oil is a reference to the idea that oil gives light.

I put the triangles under the kohen (priest) to make sure that he would not be comfortable (so his heart would not be right about hurting the bird).

The reason for eating unleavened wafers is that leavening represents arrogance. I thought it was because they didn't have the time in the desert to wait for the bread to rise.

I put the triangles under the priest so that he'd be as uncomfortable as possible when killing the bird. He kind of looks to me like an auto-mechanic under a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. One cannot study the Torah alone.