Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Parshat Bechukotai, 3rd Portion (Leviticus 26:10-26:46), May 13, 2014


“14. But if you do not listen to Me and do not perform all these commandments,

15. and if you despise My statutes and reject My ordinances, not performing any of My commandments, thereby breaking My covenant

16. then I too, will do the same to you; I will order upon you shock, consumption, fever, and diseases that cause hopeless longing and depression. You will sow your seed in vain, and your enemies will eat it.” —Leviticus 26:14-26:16

This takes me back to the Garden of Eden. If you don't obey G_d then things won't be so good. We could say that things aren't so good on Earth. Is this because we didn't obey Him? I think Job is a clear case of a man who did obey G_d and had a rough time at it. I suspect we have Jobs throughout the Earth.

What was interesting to me is that I recognized my rage toward G_d for being such a dictator. This was a mirror for me to see myself. This is not about the wrath of G_d, but rather our own dissatisfaction that things are not as we'd like them to be (because we want them to be different that how they are).

I think the disasters that come from not following G_d are more internal than external. Sickness, old age, and death are givens. Gifts expire. But we can decide how we are going to respond to these changes. And having a belief that we did our best will sure help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. One cannot study the Torah alone.